Friday 24 May 2013

Rukiyah runs the London Marathon



loveLife Generation co-founder ran the London Marathon this year and managed to raise over £850.00 https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/rukiyah  and this will go towards training a group of young people we have been working with this past year to skill them up in leading their peers in social action much needed in the communities they live in.  

Here is a YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC0f-cKGbY8 to a video depicting the marathon highlights and to say thank you! And below is Rukiyah's blurb of how the day went.


"A big congratulations to all those who ran the London Marathon. The crowds were fantastic and my personal cheer crews ( 2 cheer leading crews all for me!!! ) were the best around.
For me, the day started very well –I was calm and relaxed! I had put in the training and though mostly in the cold, rain and snow the sun decided beam down on us for a change. 
The first half went very well as I continued at a steady pace managing to get to the half marathon at around 2.39 hours. Cheer Crew #1 gave me that extra motivation at that point!
I ran past the spot I used to cheer from as a kid, my smile stretching across my face as I hi fived all the little ones lining the street.
The old knee threatened me a few times but it had been taped and strapped down enough not to give way. Whilst being overly careful of my knees I failed to give attention to something I did not even think would hinder my run – CRAMP!
By mile 17 my legs were cramping severely. I did not know cramp could start from the foot all the way up to the thigh. I had to carry on and when I got to Cheer Crew #2 they egged me onto just keep going.
Walking was not an option and though people might’ve been walking faster than me, I had to continue to run even at a snail’s pace. At around mile 21 I had to ask a paramedic for some help with the cramp but not a whole lot could be done for me unfortunately...just had to carry on.
Luckily at mile 22.5 Cheer Crew #1 not only cheered from the side they ran, shook maracas, banged on tambourines. So dedicated were they that they only stopped when a member of the Cheer Crew was down (latest update: Mel is ok but twisted her ankle quite badly).
Cheer Crew #2 picked up where Cheer Crew #1 left off at mile 23.5. At one point I had all the crowd shouting my name – I felt famous!!!!! The cheer crew shouted out advice of how to relieve the cramp, screamed and even managed to get a bit of networking in as they led me to Mile 24.
It was here were my legs decided to stop – My head and heart willed them to move but they just didn't want to. I gave them a moment and massaged a bit of the cramp out before I headed onto the home stretch. As I approached the finish line, in my head I was sprinting though in reality it was no more than a fast, twisted up limp like jog.
It took 6.07 hours altogether and though slightly disappointed, I made it to the end. One of my aims was to run all the way which I did and more amazingly I raised a whopping £857 for loveLife Generation thanks to all your generous help.
Thank you all so much for your kind support and generous donations.
Fly high and Shine ON :),


Rukiyah "


No comments:

Post a Comment